A technical preview of the upcoming gvSIG Community Edition 1.0 is available for download.
This is a zero-install distribution. Simply unpack it somewhere on your harddisk and start it:
- Linux: start bin/gvSIG.sh
- Windows: start bin/gvSIG.bat
- Mac OS X: double-click the App folder
The following features are NOT YET included:
- updated 32/64 bit binaries (raster drivers)
- GRASS GIS binaries (via SEXTANTE)
- third-party extensions (e.g. OpenCADTools, NavTable)
We have included a SEXTANTE snapshot from 22/3/2013. The most important improvements are:
- Renovated settings pages.
- Better portability: GRASS GIS is by default looked for in subfolders of the SEXTANTE installation folder.
- Brought back the ability to set up a GRASS GIS installation anywhere on your system as an algorithm provider.
- Vastly improved graphical modeler. This tool is now stable and should be fit for productive work.
- GRASS GIS vector modules work on 64 bit Windows.
For now, you will also need to select "High compatibility mode" on the GRASS settings page. This will make sure that SEXTANTE runs with any version of GRASS GIS 6.4.x.
A continuously updated release announcement, detailing the progress on new features and bug fixes can be found here.
Please report your findings to our users mailing list.